On the 4th of July, the consecration of the altar in the chapel of the former convent at Curzon by Mgr Hubert Herbreteau, Bishop of Agen, recalled the history of The Daughters of Jesus in Lot et Garonne, France.
The story begins in 1856
In 1856, two Daughters of Jesus from Vaylats arrived in Cuzorn, a small village of 851 inhabitants in the department of Lot et Garonne, to teach girls.
After living in various houses, the Sisters acquired a building constructed on the foundations of the old château where they set up a free school.
Then came the 1903 law
In 1903, the French government prohibited all teaching by religious congregations, so the sisters had to leave the convent. Several owners came and went. In 1995, Thierry, who was involved in the parish, bought the property. The ruins of the château became the property of the commune.
On the 4th of July 2023
The house contains a chapel, restored by the current owner. Mass is celebrated there once a month, followed by a time of adoration.
On the 4th of July, the altar was consecrated by our bishop, Mgr Hubert Herbreteau.
Invited along with other friends of the owner, we followed in the footsteps of our predecessors and took part in this spiritual, fervent and joyful event.
An aperitif was offered, followed by a fraternal meal and a time of conviviality.
Sr Michèle, FJ,