Our Sisters Clarisse Ilofo and Pauline Nkoy made their final commitment in the Congregation of the Daughters of Jesus on the 11th of August at Basankusu, RDC. It was an inter-congregational event celebrated along with the Theresian Sisters who were founded in this diocese.
A joyful event of commitment to following Christ more closely in religious life
In the presence of Bishop Joseph Mokobe, Bishop of the Diocese of Basankusu the eight Sisters of both congregations pronounced their vows in the presence of their respective authorities – for us, Sister Denise Toublant, Provincial Superior and for the Theresian Sisters, their Superior General.
This celebration took place in the newly rebuilt Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul where the people of God witnessed the total gift of these young sisters to the service of God and the world. Their different charisms were highlighted according to their specific Congregational rites.
It was a beautiful and touching moment to see these two religious families of different languages and cultures coming together in answer to the same call. It must be emphasized that our two Congregations have collaborated closely for a long time now in building the Kingdom of God. Although we no longer have any community in the diocese, we remain in close contact.
We were at Basankusu to accompany and support our two Sisters, Clarisse, and Pauline, in their total gift of themselves to God. As usual for us, Daughters of Jesus in Africa, on the eve of either a first or final commitment, we organized an evening around a fire, symbol of “the fire of love” expressed in our charism. With prayers, sketches and dances, the young professed Sisters put all their hearts and skills into animating this evening in the presence of the Bishop, the priests of the diocese and the Theresian Sisters.
We were witnesses of the Lord’s real and meaningful presence through many signs :
- Fraternal support, preparation by the Sisters on the spot, the presence of two elderly Sisters, Thérèse Rasson and Thérèse Le Gal, of Patricia Guillet representing the General Council and of our new Provincial, Chrescence Beyala.
- Communion among us and between our two Congregations despite the diversity of countries, language and culture.
- The welcome showed by the people at large, by our Sisters’ families, by the many priests present at the airport upon our arrival and by the Bishop himself.
- Sharing on the very evening of our arrival, of our apostolic experiences with the priests and deacons during a delicious meal at the invitation of the Bishop.
- The great joy of our sisters’ families, expressed through gestures, songs, dances and especially by these beautiful words spoken by a father: “My daughter, be a Daughter of Jesus until death“.
A sign of hope
Our visit here was a great opportunity for Thérèse le Gal to see Bokakata again and for the young Sisters to discover this place of which they had heard so much. For many years this corner of the country benefitted from the presence and dedication of the Daughters of Jesus. Nostalgia and gratitude were palpable for many of us during our stay here. This place is noted for its numerous vocations and so it gives us hope for the future. For all of this, we give thanks to God.
Happy journey onwards for us, Daughters of Jesus
and for our Theresian Sisters